Forest City Borough is a borough in Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. Forest City is situated at the corner of Susquehanna County, Lackawanna County and Wayne County, 23 miles northeast of Scranton on PA State Route #171. The entire borough is only .9034 square miles.
Forest City Borough is governed by a Borough Council consisting of seven Council Members. The Mayor oversees the Forest City Police Department which consists of a full-time Chief of Police, Assistant Chief and several part-time patrol officers.
The Police Department offices are on the second floor of the Borough Building at 535 Main Street, which also houses the Borough Offices, Council Chambers, and the Mayor's office. The first floor of the Borough building is occupied by a branch of the Susquehanna County Library and the Area Agency on Aging Senior Nutrition Center. The third floor of the building is the Pentecost Hall which is available for private events for a nominal fee.
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,911 people, 817 households, and 462 families residing in the borough.
There are 817 households out of which 28.3% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.6% are married couples living together, 15.1% have a female householder with no husband present, and 43.5% are non-families. 39.2% of all households are made up of individuals and 23.5% have someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.23 and the average family size is 2.91.
The median age is 47. For every 100 females there are 84.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 78.0 males.
The median income for a household in the borough is $33,618, and the median income for a family is $41,985. The per capita income for the borough is $19,245. About 6.4% of families and 21.3% of the population live below the poverty line, including 28.4% of those under age 18 and 17.4% of those age 65 or over.
“Cut in the dark woods where never a shimmer of golden sun shines through the trees and the surface was covered with vegetation in wild luxuriance. There were monster hemlock trees, some of them of beautiful symmetry lifting their magnificent proportions to an altitude of nearly one hundred feet. Others were bent toward each other having their long limbs locked across the narrow road as if embracing each other and whispering secrets.” This was William Pentecost’s 1864 romantic description of the area where three counties meet in the mountains of Northeastern Pennsylvania.
The area was first settled in 1864 when William Pentecost opened a lumber mill down by the Lackawanna River. The new town of Forest Mills had 50 people in 1865. Between 1866 and 1871 the D&H Canal Company built a railroad spur in Forest Mills. Though coal had been discovered by Pentecost in 1864, it was not until coal was found by the D&H in 1871 that coal mining became the new industry for the area.
The Borough Building houses a facility on the third floor suitably named for William Pentecost. The Pentecost Hall recently renovated under the direction of Councilman Robert Lesjack is available for event rentals.